Thursday, February 19, 2009

Be Fair

A couple of months back, I was having a discussion in class about marginalised people's standards of living, when you should intervene and when to back off and the subject turned to globally. A woman sitting behind me clearly stated that she had no interest about what goes on oversees. It had nothing to do with her and she did not care what was going on. As I had previously done a presentation on human trafficking and unfair trade practices between Countries, this woman and many others were well aware of such issues oversees. As fired up as I got and as quick as I was to respond, her blunt honesty was one that spoke truth. Although many may not admit it, they simply don't care. Are we that desensitised to it all. Is it because caring means change, removing comfort and thinking about someone else first. Does it mean shopping consciously and not buying something because it's cheaper. One of the many examples of this which I've heard is "It's to expensive."

Whatever the reason is for our lack of action and change. I think that raw honesty is what's needed. The truth, being totally honest moves us to question why it is that we don't care, why aren't I making that change. What is it about me that stops me from paying a bit more so that others may live well.

It reminds me of William Booth's encounter, while he was preaching his message of total obedience. There were those in amongst the crowd who would cry "The cost is too high, the sacrifice is too great!"

This is the same issue that remains today.

P.S. The woman that made that statement in class also has a son the same age as my son, I wonder if her opinion has changed based on the terrible events last year of tainted baby formula

1 comment:

AmieB said...
This comment has been removed by the author.