Friday, April 3, 2009

We're All in This Together

After a pretty average game of 10 pin bowls with the youth group tonight we ended up at McD’s for some pretty average food. As we left, I held the door open for a couple of guys, one of them starting singing “We’re all in this together”. I suspect the big red shield on my t-shirt was a giveaway to my connection with the Salvation Army and the guy must have seen our ads a few times.

As we drove home I thought about the song, and a couple of verses I read during the week, these verses always challenge me. Matthew 25, where Jesus describes the final judgement.
“35When I was hungry, you gave me something to eat, and when I was thirsty, you gave me something to drink. When I was a stranger, you welcomed me, 36and when I was naked, you gave me clothes to wear. When I was sick, you took care of me, and when I was in jail, you visited me."

While the world leaders try to solve the global crisis with cash injections, and trying to maintain systems which keep the poor poor, and the rich rich, I wonder what would be achieved if the same world leaders took the words that Jesus spoke into account, and realised we are all in this together. I wonder what they would do if they spent some time together with those most in need.

And then I thought I cant control the world leaders and what they do, and a scary thought crossed my mind, when I wake up tomorrow, what will my actions say, how will what I do show those around me that we’re all in this together?

Somehow I suspect wearing the t-shirt isn’t enough.

Question: What can you and I do to show the world that we’re all in this together? What can we do to help feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, and stand up for those who others don’t?

No comments: